The CDC Guidelines for Developing Tobacco Prevention Programs recommends that all schools:
- develop and enforce a school policy on tobacco use.
- provide instruction about the short- and long-term negative physiologic and social consequences of tobacco use, social influences on tobacco use, peer norms regarding tobacco use, and refusal skills.
- provide tobacco-use prevention education in kindergarten through 12th grade.
- provide program-specific training for teachers.
- involve parents or families in support of school-based programs to prevent tobacco use.
- support cessation efforts among students and all school staff who use tobacco.
- assess the tobacco-use prevention program at regular intervals.
N-O-T Not On Tobacco
TATU Teen Teachers
Nevada Tobacco Users Helpline
The Hookahs Policy Brief