DEEP™ is a diabetes self-management program that has been shown to be successful in helping participants take control of their disease and reduce the risk of complications.
- CDC National Latino Diabetes Advisory Committee recommendation: diabetes education program to train CHWs to address diabetes in Latino & other minority populations.
- Midwest Latino Health Research, Training and Policy Center (MLHRTPC) evaluated diabetes self-management education program in 1997 developed by Latino Health Access (CA)
- MLHRTPC developed the DEEP Training of Trainers & Patient Education curricula in Spanish & English.
DEEP™ Target Audiences
- DEEP™ is directed towards
- Persons with diabetes
- Their relatives & caregivers
- Anyone who needs information on self-care
- DEEP™ is written to be implemented by
- Health promoters
- Community health educators
- Other professionals who care for persons with diabetes.
- Training is provided for free
- Improve & maintain quality of life
- Prevent complications & disabilities
- Improve eating habits & maintain adequate nutrition
- Increase physical activity
- Develop self-care skills
- Improve patient & health care team relations
- Increase use of available resources
Flexibility – Key Feature
- Eight (8) content modules that can be done in six (6) sessions without compromising the program’s integrity
- Two (2) trainers for each workshop is highly recommended, but not required
- Designed to be adapted to the needs & abilities of the organization & group
- Missed sessions can be made up at the discretion of the trainer & participants
- Supplies & materials can be made or purchased