What is the Get Active Elko! Challenge?
The Get Active Elko! Challenge is a free, voluntary program for Elko County School District fourth grade classrooms that:
- Promotes increased opportunities for physical activity
- Provides lesson plans that match the Common Core Curriculum, Next Generation Science Standards, and Social Emotional Learning to reduce implementation barriers for teachers
How does the Get Active Elko! Challenge work?
Elko County fourth grade classrooms participate over six consecutive weeks to earn points for prizes by:
- Individual students achieving at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day
- Classrooms participating in movement-driven activities
Resources are provided for teachers to use during the course of the program and are fully adaptable to fit each unique classroom’s needs, while meeting state and federal education standards. At the end of the program the school with the greatest participation, and the classroom with the most points, will receive a grand prize.
When is the Get Active Elko! Challenge?
Registration: March 12 – March 20, 2018
Challenge Duration: April 2, 2018 – May 11, 2018
Reporting Due: May 18, 2018
Announcement of winner(s): May 25, 2018
Why should my fourth grade classroom participate?
- Prizes are provided to all participants and winning classrooms.
- Teachers are awarded an exercise resistance band for signing up.
It’s good for KIDS!
- Students and teachers can incorporate healthy habits into daily living.
- Student’s classroom behavior can improve.
- Physical activity can prevent childhood obesity and protect against social problems, attention problems, conduct problems, and depression and anxiety.
- Elko County School District Elko County Health Board provides the instructions, educational resources, participation prizes, and classroom posters.
How can my classroom be involved?
Sign up online to participate before March 20, 2018. The challenge runs from April 2, 2018 to May 11, 2018.